My Camping Gear Setup

My Camping Gear Setup

Postby scguy » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:26 pm

I figured I'd do a quick and dirty rundown of my current camping setup and how it all worked for me on my cross country trip.

Tent: Eureka Midori 2
This tent performed admirably. The only things I would change would be the included tent stakes (absolute rubbish- replaced with Coughlan's aluminum) and the small metal rod in the rain fly that made it a bit more difficult to pack up. I did manage to rip the floor after I threw the tent down in a hurry on top of a branch with no footprint and ripped a hole in the floor. In fairness, the tent was purchased used. I've since replaced it with another from Eureka's Outlet.

Looks: 5 (1-5)
Value: 4
Functionality: 5
Sturdiness: 3

Sleeping Pad: Klymit Static V Luxe

This sleeping pad performed wildly above my expectations. I had no bad nights sleep, save for one because of a severe thunderstorm in the Badlands. It was very supportive, albeit mostly comfortable lying on my back. It has a built in rise near the head which meant after I got used to it, I stopped using a pillow. It was fairly cool, but no overly so. There are insulated models available. Thick and tough, yet packs down nice and tight. Not very hard to inflate by mouth in 30 seconds or less.

Looks: 5 I guess.
Value: 5
Sturdiness: 5

Sleeping Bag: Teton Sports Tracker 5F Bag

This was definitely a budget bag, but it did everything I could ask for. Comfortable, warm (although 5F is a stretch, I'd say 25F would be lower limits comfortable). Packs decently tight.

Looks: 4
Value: 4
Functionality: 4
Sturdiness: 3 (zippers could be better)

Stove: SnowPeak GigaPower

It worked great. Not much more to say

Looks: 5
Value: 3
Sturdiness: 4

Hydration: Klim Fuel Pak

This hydration bladder exceeded my every expectation. It fit great, was easy to fill and clean, great bite valve.

Cookware: GSI Pinnacle Soloist

Worked well, probably cheaper out there. Mostly just heated stews.

Looks: doesn't matter
Value: 3

Headlamp : Black Diamond Spot

Good, bright, light. Battery life could be better.

1984 NH 700S - "Tiana" 1999 Honda VFR800 - "Vanessa"
scguy

Re: My Camping Gear Setup

Postby Laminar » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:01 pm

You certainly did a torture test!
'72 CB450 | '79 CX500 | '84 CB700SC
Laminar
Showed OptionXIII the killer engine swap

Postby Hppants » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:25 am

That is going to be the style of my next tent. The one I have packs smaller (only by a smidge), but I would prefer to have the door on the wide side (or two doors even. Also, the rain fly allows for more "overhang" near the door to store your shoes (and keep them dry). Also, I much prefer to buy a tent that comes with a footprint. You can make your own footprint with 4mil visqueen, but it won't always stay in place.

I'll probably shop for another tent at the end of the season this year at REI.
2014 FJR1300
Hppants

Postby Drdubb » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:14 am

I just bought a new tent. I had an REI quarter. Dome 2+ that packed small, but the ventilation was bad. I just picked up a Marmot Tungsten 3p tent. Its fairly light, very roomy, and fits in my panniers. It will get a thorough testing in June. Comes with a footprint and pretty good pegs. Has some nice pockets high in the corners. Throw your headlamp in there and light is disappated throughout the tent.
NC700XD, Honda SL 350
Drdubb

Return to Camping Gear