Opinion please - 2017 Helmet Audio preferences

Opinion please - 2017 Helmet Audio preferences

Postby marriedman » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:05 am

Wel, the Shure earbuds I bought back when we were all on NHF are finally showing their age. If I am not mistaken, jspringer likes the Etymotic MK5's. What other options do you guy utilize? I am particularly interested in Hppants and SonnysTile opinion. I am betting that Pants is a pure music guy and Sonny is a Bluetooth communication solution kinda guy.

Any opinion and input appreciated.
1st Gear - Stump Puller
2nd Gear - Lets try this again
3rd Gear - I don't really have to shift ever again
4th Gear - Woah, this is fast
5th Gear - You're gonna get a ticket
6th Gear - They'll never catch me!
marriedman
Harvard Banggood

Re: Opinion please - 2017 Helmet Audio preferences

Postby Hppants » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:05 pm

I still like the Shure 215s. I'm still using my original pair, but the wire has been replaced twice. I bought a knock off wire and it didn't last very long, so back to the shure wire I go. I keep a spare wire in my tank bag. Of course, I keep 5 or 6 pairs of replacement tips as well. I particularly like the silicone 3 flange tips, but I cut off the smallest tip. That fits my ear canal perfect. It does not loosen out and the wind noise is gone.

I'm running my MP3 player through an Ampli-rider. It takes up to 3 inputs and I use that for the MP3 player, the radar detector, and the GPS turn by turn directions. It has a volume control, which is great. The ampli-rider ampli-fier is very clean and the sound quality is fantastic. I've got this device run into a switched circuit on my fuze block.

http://electric-avenues.com/amplirider.html

I swapped helmets and bikes with my buddy that wears the same helmet (same size) and runs his music through his J&B CB and into his helmet speakers (also done by J&B). Of course you have to wear foam ear plugs or the wind noise is horrible. With ear plugs, the music is muffled and sounds horrible through those cheapie speakers. NOTHING like the quality of the shure buds.

So I'm sticking pat with the shure 215's for now.

A lot of my buddies have the JB CB unit. IT would be cool to be able to talk to them, but not really necessary. Believe it or not, I get some feedback from them talking through my MP3 player, and I can hear what they say if they are within 100 yards of me. I can use hand signals and communicate with them pretty good. :)

I'm up to about 3000 songs on my shit simple Sandisk MP3 player. I think I'm done steal... er... borrowing music. I don't mind paying a buck for a song. Where do I go to buy MP3 songs legally?
2014 FJR1300
Hppants

Postby mollusc » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:09 pm

Let me know what kind of stuff you are looking for. My collection runs to thousands of CDs which I have all ripped to FLAC and MP3, and fully tagged including cover art where possible. I'm happy to share.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Terpaterk
Red/Black '80 CX500B (sold) | Red/Black '84 CB700SC | Silver/Black '12 NC700X
mollusc

Postby scguy » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:14 pm

Pants, if you're not hardcore audiophile, check out Spotify on your phone. For $10 a month, you can download as many songs as you want for offline access

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Terpaterk
1984 NH 700S - "Tiana" 1999 Honda VFR800 - "Vanessa"
scguy

Postby marriedman » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:26 am

Pants - I didn't even think about replacing the wire on my sure and trying out some new tips. The flanged type I have never tried and didn't know the Shure's had them. Perhaps I should be looking at repairing my earbuds instead.

As for buying songs legally, used music shops, garage sales, thrift stores... anywhere that I can find a physical medium in good shape. I don't like renting music from these online retailers nor do I like giving them money for songs that are most likely 20 years old. My tastes haven't adapted to the modern stuff very well. I always try to buy the CD so I can rip them myself. Much better quality IMO. Most of my stuff is heavy/death metal or blues. Most people don't get into that stuff otherwise I would share more.

SCguy - I didn't know that they let you download music. All temporary though, right?
1st Gear - Stump Puller
marriedman
Harvard Banggood

Postby marriedman » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:27 am

mollusc wrote:Let me know what kind of stuff you are looking for. My collection runs to thousands of CDs which I have all ripped to FLAC and MP3, and fully tagged including cover art where possible. I'm happy to share.

Thousands of CD's ripped to Flac? Someone has a metric shit ton of storage space!
1st Gear - Stump Puller
marriedman
Harvard Banggood

Postby mollusc » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:32 am

6TB worth on a drive bank in the basement, and I still need to add more. I cover everything from opera and avant-garde to early blues, punk, jazz, and generic shitty pop. Thrift stores are treasure troves of both gems and horror.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Terpaterk
mollusc

Postby Hppants » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:42 am

MM- if you decide to stick with the shure buds, do try a new wire. Even if you end up replacing the buds, you will have a spare wire, which is useful on a tour if your current wire shits the bucket (DAMHIK). This is how I got the factory replacement wire. It's very good - the "over the ear" part is very "moldable"

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0046 ... UTF8&psc=1

Also, which type of tips are you using? After about a week's worth of use, my tips are full of crud/wax. I pull them and sit them in some warm water for about 30 seconds - clean as a whistle and I can use them another 4 or 5 days. Then I've to replace them. This is the tip I use:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0027 ... UTF8&psc=1

Truthfully, I can't imagine riding without my tunes. At the right time, at the right place, the right song comes into my ears and the moment goes from good to spiritual, unforgettable even.

I don't want to deal with I-tunes. I don't want to run my music through my phone. The amplifier on the phone is dirty and the ampli-rider just amplifies that exponentially. Plus, it drains my battery and my data plan. I simply want to buy the songs, put the MP3 files on my little player, and roll that way.

Mollusc - that is one fine generous offer. What can I say? I like classic rock (70s, 80s), pretty much anything country and western (but the older stuff is more fun for riding), Blues, some Jazz, my taste is pretty diversified.

Maybe I could reciprocate? I have all of my music backed up on my external HD - It's broken down by the artists name in sub-folders, and of course, each song file is named with the title of the song. Windows 7. How could I get you a list of all of the file names within that hierarchy of files?

I'm afraid we are going to jack up your thread, my apologies but I guess that is how good friends roll. The conversation starts and who knows where it goes?
2014 FJR1300
Hppants

Postby Drdubb » Mon May 01, 2017 5:20 am

I load the tunes in my gps unit and bluetooth to speakers mounted in my helmet. Not as good as ear buds, but no wires to mess with. I can still hear ambient noise.
NC700XD, Honda SL 350
Drdubb

Postby marriedman » Mon May 01, 2017 6:19 am

Pants - I started off using the foam tips that came with it, but last year I tried out the silicone tips. I've never used the flanged type before. So I just ordered them and will see if that makes a difference. Good idea also on having an extra cord.
1st Gear - Stump Puller
marriedman
Harvard Banggood

Postby mollusc » Mon May 01, 2017 6:48 am

Here's a link to a folder on my Dropbox that contains my current catalogue: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8h7f5utcxk0x ... dSrFa?dl=0

Hopefully it can be read/opened without needing a password. Take a look and let me know what I should put in the folder for anyone to grab.
I'm behind on my ripping; have a couple of hundred discs under my desk that I haven't got to yet, so there's more that's not on the list. But there should be enough there to start with.
I don't generally keep anything where I don't own the actual physical release. There are a few of them on my list but that's mostly because I've been too lazy to hunt down physical copies. They're all marked, as are any that have issues; some of those issues might compromise the quality of the ripped file.
mollusc

Postby jspringator » Mon May 01, 2017 7:06 am

I bought the Shure because of the positive reviews. I even bought a cord with a mic. My problem with them is I can't keep them in my ear when I put my helmet on. Is there a trick? The Entymotic are much smaller. I have the HF5 now.
2000 ST1100 ABS
06 XT225
jspringator

Postby Hppants » Mon May 01, 2017 7:24 am

Mollusc - Holy Cow!!! That is one heck of a play list. I'm going to take some time later this week and go through this. How can I post my folder list like that?

J:

1. Moisten the tips before inserting. Insert fully so that ambient sound is deadened.

2. Wrap the wire around the top of your ear. Make sure the stiff part of the wire is molded to follow the contour of your ear. If you study the way the bud is designed, as you pull down on that wire, it actually twist the bud such that it goes in your ear more.

On now this is the key:

3. When I put my helmet on, I hold each side of the chin strap in an "outward" motion as I pull the helmet down. I use my index finger on each hand to press the top tips of my ears toward my skull. This keeps my ears from folding over as my helmet is placed on. If my ears fold over, the wire will fall out of the channel that is created between my ears and my skull. If the wire falls, the ear bud will also fall. Once the helmet clears the top tips of my ears, I release my index fingers, but continue to pull the chin strap (both sides) outward. This release the compression of my helmet pads and allows the helmet to go on without moving my ears. I have found this works very well - takes a couple of tries to get the procedure down.

When the silicone tips are old (after a couple of washings), the rubber becomes less pliable and then I usually get an air leak. So I pitch them and new ones fix the problem. I probably get about 14 days worth of riding out of a set of tips.

I've also found that when I have a head full of snot, the ear buds tend to not work quite as good. This is because the seal when inserted is so good that when I swallow, the back pressure of the fluid against my ear canal tends to push the ear bud out. Really though, when I'm feeling like that, I tend to stay home anyway.
2014 FJR1300
Hppants

Postby marriedman » Mon May 01, 2017 7:57 am

mollusc - lol, Wu-Tang? Really?

jspring - Pretty much what Pants said. I remember you saying how well you liked the Entymotic which is why I am still considering buy a pair as an alternate.
1st Gear - Stump Puller
marriedman
Harvard Banggood

Postby marriedman » Mon May 01, 2017 8:11 am

Hppants wrote:How can I post my folder list like that?

I don't know how he does it, but on Linux there are some options with a bash command. However I would bet a buck that you are still on Windows. There are some free applications that will scan directories recursively and output the contents in a nice HTML or CSV format. It'll take some looking, but there are ways to find what you are looking for.
1st Gear - Stump Puller
marriedman
Harvard Banggood

Postby mollusc » Mon May 01, 2017 8:46 am

marriedman wrote:mollusc - lol, Wu-Tang? Really?

Hey, I live on Staten Island. Gotta support the locals!

I haven't ever found a decent intrinsic way in Windows of capturing a dump of a folder tree. The freeware route that mm suggests is probably going to serve you best. I made my list in Excel because it's easy to manage and to sort and read on my phone when I'm out scavenging. I also keep a couple of lists on musicbrainz.org so I can check on which specific releases I own; sometimes just knowing the title and date isn't definitive enough to differentiate between versions.
Oh, and that list doesn't include music that I've captured from my cassette or vinyl sources.
mollusc

Postby jspringator » Mon May 01, 2017 11:13 am

I just use Pandora. It's worth $3 a year not to have to learn how to do all that shit. They have offline music now, so I should be good even in West By God Virginia.

Pants, I have a portable CB I'm going to try to bluetooth into my IPhone. If all works according to my hypothesis, I should be able to bluetooth from my phone to my ear buds, and hear Pandora, turn by turn directions, and output from my portable CB. I'm going to attach a bluetooth transmitter to the earphone jack on the CB. I will have to connect to the BT transmitter on the CB, as well as the receiver for my earbuds on the iPhone. I have been using the bluetooth for the earbuds for several years, so I know it works. I have no idea if CB output will also go to my earbuds. If it does, I'll let you know.
2000 ST1100 ABS
06 XT225
jspringator

Postby marriedman » Wed May 03, 2017 7:35 am

I got the triple flanged tips for my Shure 215's last night. They are very snug, but damn they isolate noise so well that my kids were enjoying being able to sneak up on my while I was testing them out. I don't know how comfortable they will be on longer rides, but I think if I cut off the smallest tip, I wouldn't be able to get the things in my ears. I'll need to give them a test ride soon.

As an aside, I forgot I had a snipe in place on a set of Etymotic buds and won the auction on a $25 bid. So I will also be testing those things out soon as well.
1st Gear - Stump Puller
marriedman
Harvard Banggood

Postby Hppants » Wed May 03, 2017 12:21 pm

When I changed to the tips I use now, it did take a few days use for my ear canals to toughen up to them. Since these get inserted farther into your ear canal than traditional foam tips, and the tissue there is kind of tender and sensitive, my first couple days, my canals were a little sore. So be aware of that.
2014 FJR1300
Hppants

Postby SonnysTile » Thu May 04, 2017 6:40 am

Sena SMH20 in my Shoei blue toothed to my iPhone with pandora.

I can hear turn by turn, use as a com, access Siri to locate anything with voice commands and has an FM radio.

Foam plugs for wind noise

Sent from my iPad using Terpaterk
SonnysTile

Postby the_big_h » Thu May 04, 2017 12:09 pm

I haven't ever found a decent intrinsic way in Windows of capturing a dump of a folder tree. [/quote]

Is this what you want?

from command prompt:
DIR /S /B /W > filelist.txt

then open filelist.txt with excel or whatever.
1984 Nighthawk 750s
1984 Sabre v65
1984 Goldwing GL1200A
the_big_h

Postby marriedman » Thu May 04, 2017 3:33 pm

Man, I should have never started this thread. I bought replacement tips for my Shures, bought a pair of Etymotics to try out, and now I just scored a pair of Sena 20s!

I even had permission for the Sena since SWMBO has been enjoying riding with me and wants to be able to talk instead of gesturing. :D Delivery is going to be tight, supposed to be here by the 12th, but I am supposed to be leaving that weekend to head to Deals Gap. Actually looking to take the whole week off.
1st Gear - Stump Puller
marriedman
Harvard Banggood

Postby Hppants » Thu May 04, 2017 4:56 pm

MM - congrats. It's a sickness, DAMHIK.

Big_H - thanks for the suggestion. Been a while since I've typed DOS commands. But it worked on a test folder here at work. I'll give it a try this weekend on my playlist.
2014 FJR1300
Hppants

Postby marriedman » Sat May 06, 2017 6:35 am

The Etymontics came last night. They are a little more comfortable and I bet they will stay in a lot better than the Shures while putting on the helmet. But man, the sound quality doesn't come close to the Shures at all. Hell, I've got a pair of knock-off bluetooth gym headphones that sound better honestly.

So these will most likely be regulated to the wife when she rides. She is not as much as a music lover as I am.
1st Gear - Stump Puller
marriedman
Harvard Banggood

Return to Electronics